Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Lovers



Back in my maidenhood, much of which I spent exploring Wicca, I was well used to the process of raising energy from the earth, letting it fill me, spill over, and flow back to the earth, completing a give-and-take circle of energy that was rejuvenating and satisfying. And, walking across green fields in Cheddar, shortly after reading We Borrow The Earth by Patrick Jasper Lee, I could feel the buzzing energy welling up beneath my feet, even with thick shoes on.

But recently, in the harried, distracted time that is my adult life, I have been finding it much harder to feel that connection. Since the beginning of my time working with the Earth element, I have tried to recall the technique of raising energy, and it just feels like going through the motions. I can put down roots, ground myself, but that's about as far as I get. Then I just feel cold.

I'm a real Gemini, predominantly ruled by Air, and the earthy experiences of touch are easy for me to neglect. I prefer to have an intellectual debate than to hold hands, particularly as I tend towards eczema, and there's no limit to the things that can set me off. But thankfully, I have children, and children leave no room for being physically disconnected.

I was sitting this morning, as I often do, with Minnie curled up under my arm, leaning against my body, silently reading a book and putting off the time when Things Need To Be Done. And in that time, I became aware of how impossible it felt to move. I couldn't bring myself to end the moment, because we were busy exchanging energy. I could feel Minnie's whole being, merging with mine, an echo of the time when she was part of me. We were nourishing each other with warmth and love, and to move away at that moment would have painfully wrenched something fragile and important. This is not the first time I have felt this mutual energy-flow, but it is the first time I've really been aware of it and realised how precious it is. So thank you, Minnie, for reminding me how to make a genuine physical connection, how to feel that flow of energy that makes it all work.

(photography by Dawn and Minnie)



8 comments:

  1. :0) Love it! A good reminder. And I'm so glad you got that pic in with the golden falling leaves - I walked through the woods yesterday and it felt so magical - everything gold bronze russet rose and yellow :0D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we had a photography afternoon in the park to calm our nerves, and it is indeed a top-notch colourful autumn - I think all those people who rave about New England should come and see how we do it in Old England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't - it would make the park very crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, it actually accepted my comment... what did I say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael loves the pictures (declaring that Minnie is 'just like me!'), but is asking where we can 'find Ali in the forest'.

    I think that being able to touch someone and have that kind of profound physical connection is one of the most important things for keeping us mentally balanced. At least, it is for me! And it's something that a lot of old people have told me they miss. I hadn't thought of it as being an earthy thing before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) 'Find Ali in the forest' - there's a new party game that could keep them occupied for a while...
    Yes, I think it's generally accepted that air is for the intellect, water is for the emotions, earth is for the body, and other sinful sexual things, and fire is for... umm... anyone help me out here? Creation, I suppose, or something to do with soul, passion or energy, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Action! I think that's what I was trying to say. Fire is action, particularly creative action. Though I'm still open to contrary theories, of course.

    ReplyDelete