Friday 23 September 2011

Friday Frolics

Friday is the day when I get to spend most of the day alone with my youngest. We have a short swimming lesson in the morning, then it's mum and daughter funtime until the 3 o'clock school pickup. Here are some snapshots of our manic rush to do everything we'd like to do! Today we were rather heavy on the cooking, so now my kitchen looks like a baker's shop. Which is awesome.


Mr Plasticine Man



We don't use washing powder any more. :-) I am a recent convert to soapnuts. We are trying them here for the first time, and the washing comes out very clean and very soft, and they're safe for little hands to help with.




Minnie 'helps' make some cakes. Or does this count as washing-up? 





Having made too much chocolate glaze, I thought I'd try dipping grapes. It turns out they look a lot like acorns. If you simply melted milk chocolate, rather than making a runny glaze as I did, I bet they'd look great. 






In our family we love the dining table, but we don't always sit at it. 





Having picked Dawn up, it's time for homework. I can't believe she's reached that age. My plan is to always do it with her, and never to force the issue if she doesn't want to. As you can see, once again Minnie is helping. Dawn appears to be asleep. That's fine, too.




Phew! Having got the homework out the way, it's time for more cooking. This time it's flapjacks. I provide the oats and the syrup, and the girls chuck in whatever they fancy. Dawn chooses raisins and coconut (neither of which she likes, but she hasn't learnt yet!) and Minnie chooses raisins and dried strawberries.

3 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures! I especially like the acorn grapes.

    It's sad that children have to do homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is, especially with what's been happening at our school. They have instigated a weekly reward system for homework, which I don't think is helpful anyway (I hear shock and horror from anyone reading this who is not Buzzfloyd or my mum). Two weeks into term - the first week they failed to notice Dawn had done hers, so she missed out on the reward, and the second week the whole class were doing something different so no-one got the reward. Let's see, what are we teaching the children here? It's not worth reading unless you're going to get something out of it, and as we adults can't be trusted to keep our side of the bargain there's no reason why you should bother keeping yours. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised (but there's a reason for that) I did a survey amongst my friends on that reward scheme (reward, go outside. sanction, stay in and do drawing). Most said they, when young, would have given up reading in order for 'free extra art'.

    ReplyDelete